The Barolo Castle
A very ancient castle – it has been first built in the X century -, it has been restored and changed many times during time. It has been a defensive fortress, a country villa, a strict religious college; and every use that has been made of it has left its traces on the big building.
The most impressive features of the castle are its dimensions, a very evident sign of the power of the Lords of this place.
Inside it’s possible to visit the rooms, still with the original furnitures of marquis Giulia Colbert, the salons, the library with the memories of Silvio Pellico, the patriot who, after having been in the Spielberg prison, worked here as a secretary and librarian for almost twenty years.
There’s also the ethnografic and enologic museum of Barolo, an exhibition of ancient farming tools used for farming grapes in the Langhe, a coolection of crystal wine glasses and old pictures.
In the cellars, where the marquis Giulia baptized the first Barolo wine, there’s a regional cellar.
The Govone Castle
The baroque castle in Govone is probably the only one by Juvarra.
It was built in 1778 on an older one, dating back to the fourteenth century, and was further transformed from being a fortress into today’s sumptuous villa by the counts Solaro.
The castle was so beautiful that Vittorio Amedeo III di Savoia bought it for one of his sons.
The Magliano Alfieri Castle
Around 1649, Catalano Alfieri gave the order to begin building the present castle downstream, where the previous medieval fortress built in 996 stood.
It would appear that the architect was Amedeo di Castellamonte, the same who in 1658 created the facade of the Palazzo Reale in Turin.
The building is square and massive, with two cylindrical towers. The building’s front door is in baroque style and shows jambs and architraves made of sandstone.
The deeply carved tiles are also typically baroque. Here you’ll find the Alfieri coat of arms, a black eagle which has always been the symbol of imperial power.
The Serralunga d’Alba Castle
Along the Barolo roads, stands a castle that overlooks the hills: the Serralunga d’Alba Castle.
Built between 1340 and 1357, according to somewhat unusual shapes in Italy, but typical of fourteenth century French Donjon, it was one of the castles belonging to the Falletti family: merchants and bankers originating in Asti.
Over the centuries, the Falletti, represented the most important dynasty in the Langa, and obtained jurisdiction of over 50 fiefs or municipalities. Their history was interwoven with the castle’s for over 600 years.
In 1864, after the death of the last descendent, the philanthropist Giulia Falletti Colbert, the manor house became property of the Opera Pia Barolo, and was then acquired and restored by the Italian State in 1949.